Post 7 of 10
- Why Does Twitch Delete Videos – Important Things to Know 2021
- Twitch Terms of Service Breakdown – Complete 2021 Guide
- Twitch Music Rules – Best Tips for Avoiding DMCA Strikes (2021)
- DMCA Twitch – Most Important Things to Know in 2021
- Can You Smoke on Twitch – Guide and Best Tips for 2021
- Can You Drink on Twitch in 2021 – Top Questions and Best Answers
- Can You Swear on Twitch in 2021– Questions and Best Answers
- Twitch Chat Rules – Top Basic and Custom Chat Rules (2021)
- Banned Words on Twitch – Ultimate 2021 Guide
- How Old do You Have to Be to Stream on Twitch in 2021 – Guide and 4 Simple Rules
Ask anyone who has played MMO’s, MOBA’s, or pretty much any kind of intense online game is familiar cusswords, and cursing on Twitch is a common occurrence.
This topic is quite controversial but rest assured that it is actually very easy to avoid every complication when it comes to swearing on Twitch.
That said, here, I will give you the answer to the question “can you swear on Twitch”. So, let’s begin!
Post 7 of 10 in the Twitch Rules
Can you Cuss on Twitch?
Yes, you can – cussing is a common occurrence during streams. Still, there is a thin line separating what’s acceptable and what must be set for mature audiences only.
You will meet many streamers swearing on Twitch occasionally due to a lost killstreak or for missing a good play, but this type of cursing on Twitch is periodic and is rarely aimed at insulting anyone directly.
As a good percentage of the Twitch userbase consists of teens, Twitch mature content rules have to be closely enforced to keep sensitive content away from underage users.
If you feel like it, your every second sentence can be a curse! Swearing on Twitch is really not a problem if you mark the stream appropriately beforehand.
Related: Banned Words on Twitch
Is Swearing Bad for Your Stream?
Depends on what your plans are for your channel.
Twitch has a place for everyone’s tastes and preferences, hence why it is so varied- it has a little bit of everything for everyone!
Still, many swearing is often seen as less professional, and sponsors might not be so eager to work with you even if you attract a large following.
The main difference between channels with a lot of cursing and curse-free channels lies in opportunity. While the former has a Twitch mature content setting activated, the latter is more professional and can grow further while allowing young audiences to participate.
The reason for this is because, as any good employer, companies will look at your history and make a verdict based on your behavior and popularity.
Ask yourself how far are you willing to go with Twitch and then devise strategies that can push that plan forward. If you curse on Twitch and feel it might be detrimental to your goals, you can always change your channel’s pace.
How to Set Twitch Stream to Mature
If you are prone to swearing on Twitch, using the Twitch mature filter to mark your content for mature audiences will go a long way.
For those situations where you might suspect that Twitch profanity rules might require you to set the mature filter on, do the following;
- Access Twitch.tv with your account.
- Access your settings menu by clicking on the top right of the page where your account icon is located and scroll down until you find the settings option.
- You will be taken to a new set of tabs marked as “Settings.” Click on the “Channel and Videos” settings option.
- The next tab within the “Channel and Videos” section will include a togglable option named “mature content,” which should be turned on if you are wondering how to set Twitch stream to mature.
Twitch Profanity Rules – What Are the Limits
While you are given a lot of freedom when it comes to uncensored expression, there are a couple of Twitch rules you should keep in mind:
- Avoid profanity or insults with a sexist connotation
- Avoid racist comments at all times
- Homophobic slurs and profanity are also something you should avoid
- The C, F, or N word slurs are considered borderline near the limit
- Aggressive or directly insulting comments
The consistency of slurs in your streams is what will determine if the Twitch mature audience setting should be placed or if cussing is merely a periodic and rare occurrence for you, in which case you won’t have to mark your content as mature.
Can you swear on Twitch without negative repercussions?
While it is true that, technically, you get the same treatment as a non-mature content marked account, the change in popularity can indeed be drastic.
Starting from companies being reluctant to associate themselves with you to people unfollowing your channel, you have to take into account everything you deem currently or potential worthy before you think about increasing the frequency of your uncensored curse speech.
If you want to use your videos to create content for other platforms, you might want to change your presentation by editing, cutting out, or beep out certain swear words before posting the newly edited content online.
Another good option is to separately record for Twitch and then for other platforms. In either case, you can produce relevant content with sufficiently effective organization of your activities.
How to Limit Cursing on Twitch
There are many ways that you can limit the frequency of your cussing, but the most essential tool at your disposal is your self-control.
Most streamers start swearing on Twitch out of impulse, and it is, in most cases, in rare intervals which do not warrant a mature content label. But, if you do cuss often or want to play it safe, you can do the following;
1. Set a daily cussing limit count
To slowly tone down on the profanity, slowly start limiting and decreasing the number of times you can cuss on each subsequent stream. This is an excellent starting method.
2. Substitute swear words with a different vocabulary
By far the easiest and most pleasant change of pace, you can expand on your vocabulary and express yourself in less vulgar ways that will allow you to potentially vent out your feelings and remain within the bounds of politeness at all times.
3. Utilize chat commands and moderators
Chat commands are handy for keeping count of the number of times you swore, and your moderators can be tasked with reminding you to remain as civil as possible at all times.
4. Observe your past videos and manage your emotions
Everyone loses their cool, we get that. The problem forms when your outbursts start negatively affecting your desired hobby or career.
Observe how you behave during streams and, if you want to, change your behavior to suit the situations you find yourself in. If cussing is a must and you want to limit it, learning when and what triggers you is a must.